Search This Blog

Friday, October 10, 2014

Gluten Free Temptations and Frustrations

So you may have gleaned or even seen somewhere that Joe and I are trying a gluten free diet.  I don't think either of us has celiac disease (in fact I know we don't) but have had stomach issues in the past and are just trying it out to see if it helps.


And, aside from the occasional cravings for cookies and brownies (the full gluten versions readily purchased at the store), we've been doing OK.  I've been feeling a bit better and Joe is also which is a great thing!


There have been some major bumps in the road, though, I'm not gonna' lie.  And this afternoon I was tempted.  Sorely tempted.


I got out of work early which was nice and decided I would get to the grocery store early and get my shopping out of the way.  My normal shopping day is Friday but I usually go about 5:00 so this was something a little different.  I thought it would be a lot less busy than at 5:00 PM but boy was I wrong!  3:00 PM seems to bring out the moms with their packs of screaming children (which they've obviously had enough of from the way they interact with them) and all of the elderly people who like to meander through the aisles.  GAH!  And not helping matters were the hordes of stockers getting their carts of goods in my way.  While I appreciate they want to make sure my store is nicely stocked I would appreciate if they do their magical work when I am not there shopping. 


So what does the above paragraph have to do at all with the rest of this post?  I'm getting to that.  Right now in fact.  One part of shopping at that time is they are handing out samples to tempt you to buy new things.  And today I was offered a cookie and Prego (which, by the way, is Italian for "You're welcome") alfredo sauce dipped in bread.  Boo.  And those things weren't too bad.  I almost got into it with the Prego lady with the temptation to explain that the reason I was declining her offer was that my husband and I are trying gluten free and the bread would be a no-no and the sauce may even be, too, and I was going to regale her with what it was like trying to go gluten free but that fleeting thought in my mind was thankfully quashed by the sensible part of me that doesn't want to be known as the lady that went gluten free and also completely insane as a result.


Now I'm getting to the worst part.  I was proud of myself for declining those offers and not pushing my gluten craziness on one of the sample ladies and I triumphantly checked out and paid for my groceries.  I was wishing the cashier and the bagger a most pleasant day when the worst thing in my gluten free world happened.  The bagger wished me a pleasant day and pointed to a cart behind the checkouts filled with about 50 pumpkin pies and 5 cream cakes.  And advised me those were not going to be able to be sold after today and they are free and I was welcome to take some.


In my mind, I freaked.  I had a vision of me abandoning my cart full of the things I needed and running out of the store with that huge cart of pie and cake.  Because I LOVE pumpkin pie.  And really had the urge to gorge on it.  Outwardly, I remained calm and thanked him for the offer to which he replied that I would regret it because they were delicious.  My vision turned to one of me punching the smiling young punk of a bagger for reading my innermost thoughts of temptation.


Instead, I smiled bigger (probably insanely) and said I probably would regret it and wheeled my sorry gluten free filled cart out of the store.


*whispers*  And I have regretted it since which is why I'm writing this.  I want some pumpkin pie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment