Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Recipe Time! Kale Chips

I remember the first time I got a bunch of kale in my Bountiful Basket.  I remember examining it and thinking to myself, "What on earth am I going to do with this?  What does it taste like?  I'll bet it tastes weird."   And unfortunately because I wasn't adventurous enough to want to try it (and neither was Joe) it rotted in my fridge and went to waste.


I sincerely regret that.  I do!  Because I got two! bunches of kale a few baskets after that one and vowed I would not let it go to waste and was glad I didn't.  I used some of it in salad and I really like it raw.  Joe and Emily, however, were not big fans.  In fact I think it's safe to say Em was not a fan at all.  So I looked into other ways to use it that my family may like better because I couldn't possibly eat that much kale myself.


I found on Pinterest a recipe for kale chips and had heard people talking about them so decided to give it a try.  And guess what?  BIG HIT.  I didn't like them as much cooked but Joe and Em definitely were into it.


So here's the recipe (if you don't already have your own which you likely do) as found on Love to be in the Kitchen:


KALE CHIPS




Kale
Olive Oil
Salt (I use seasoned salt)
Pepper


Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 415 degrees
  2. Get out a cookie sheet and line it with foil.
  3. While preheating, gently wash the kale and dry completely with a paper towel.
  4. Once dry, gently tear off palm size pieces of the leaves and spread out onto cookie sheet.
  5. Spread the olive oil out on the kale and then using your hands, mix the kale and massage it a bit to get the olive oil spread out (your kids will love this part!)
  6. Sprinkle with salt and a bit of pepper
  7. Bake for 10 minutes, stir, and then bake another couple minutes.
  8. The kale will shrink and get crunchy – that is what we want! Once the chips are done you can either eat them just like that (which is how I love them!) or sprinkle a bit of parmesan cheese on top.
I just bake 10 minutes as it seems mine burn otherwise.

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment